He married Silence Greene and there is a marker for S.O. next to Henry’s marker which must be Silence. Silence was born about 1777 in Rhode Island according to the 1850 census. She died sometime after 1860. Nothing else is known about her. There was a large Greene family (including General Nathanael Greene) living in Rhode Island. Since Henry was from Rhode Island also, I suspect they were married there. Four other Olins married into the Green (no “e”) family in Vermont but this is not the same family as Silence.
NOTE: There was another Silence Greene born to Timothy Greene and Silence Rowland Burlingame. However, that Silence is considerably older and married a Martin and died in Canada.
An Ashtabula history book was found with genealogies included at the Ashtabula Library. In this book I found more information that documents a definite descendancy from John Olin of Rhode Island (including a wonderful old photograph of the Alson Olin Family, who was the brother of Henry Olin I).
Descendants of Henry Olin and Silence Greene:
Sarah “Sally” was born about 1796 in Shaftsbury, Bennington, Vermont and died June 12, 1819 in Shaftsbury, Bennington, Vermont. (Research done by Ada Simmons)
Dimres was born 1807 in Vermont. She died in Plymouth, Ashtabula, Ohio. She married October 28, 1853 Plymouth, Ashtabula, Ohio to Horace Sackett(e) (1803-1870).
Alson Olin (aka Allison)
They had the following children:
Alson was born February 16, 1808 in Shaftsbury, Bennington, Vermont. He died October 2, 1861 in Plymouth, Ashtabula, Ohio. He married Alzina Bennett (1810-1904)
- Harriet Olin born August 1, 1834 in Ohio, died May 10, 1911 in Koylton, Tuscola, Michigan. She married November 14, 1857 to Peter Blauvelt (1826-1903)
- Mary Adelia (Adelise) Olin born April 13, 1838 in Ohio and died December 24, 1917 in Lupton, Ogemaw, Michigan. She married October 4, 1855 in Ashtabula, Ohio to William A. Frisbie (1834-1921).
- Lydia L. Olin born June 1843 in Ohio and died in January 19, 1927 in Ashtabula, Ohio. She married Benjamin N. Babcock (1825-1892).
- Almon Henry Olin born August 6, 1850 in Plymouth, Ashtabula, Ohio and died December 24, 1939 in Ashtabula, Ashtabula, Ohio. He married November 13, 1878 to Harriet Little Rose (1859-1944).
John R. Olin
John was born January 16, 1810 in Bennington, Shaftsbury, Vermont and died 1892 in Ashtabula, Ashtabula, Ohio. About 1833 he married Mary “Polly Ann” Babcock. According to the Michigan Census of 1850, this family resided in Eaton, Roxand Twsp, Ohio. He remarried on January 16, 1870 in in Ashtabula, Ashtabula, Ohio to Eliza Cornell. John and Polly had the following children:
- Marietta Olin born 1833 in New York.
- Gideon G. Olin was born in 1836 in New York, married 1865 at Ashtabula, Ohio to Rosanna B. Hyers (1829-1936).
- Phebe Olin married George Harvey.
- John H. Olin was born 1840 New York married Helen A. Cheney (1845-1892) in 1865 at Ashtabula, Ohio.
- Horace B. Olin was born 1840 and died 1916 Sheffield Twsp, Ashtabula, Ohio married Mary Kemp in 1869 Ashtabula, she died 1891.
- Daniel P. Olin was born 1841 married 1865 Ashtabula, Ohio Martha W. Hyers born 1846, died August 12, 1933.
- Henry J. Olin was born November 1844, died April 21, 1937 in Ohio married Mary Jones in 1889 in Ashtabula, Ohio.
- William J. Olin was born November 20, 1846 Sheffield, Ohio, died June 7, 1923 Ashtabula, Ohio. He married April 1, 1868 Lockport, Pennsylvania to Rosetta Celeste Norton b: June 28, 1852 Sheffield, Ohio, died June 6, 1923 Ashtabula, Ohio.
- George W. Olin was born July 1848, died February 25, 1923 Ashtabula, Ohio married Eva L. Nims, then married Myrta Truesdale.
- John R. Olin 2nd married Eliza (Lizzie) Cornel January 16, 1870 Ashtabula, Ohio.
John married secondly to Juliette Wilton on June 3, 1858 in Ashtabula, Ohio. His third marriage was to Elizabeth Cornell on January 16,1870 in Ashtabula, Ohio. There are no known children from these two marriages.
Nancy was born in 1814/15 in Shaftsbury, Bennington, Vermont. She died in Plymouth, Ashtabula, Ohio. She was still alive in the 1880 census and never married.
Horace B. Olin
Horace was born February 16, 1818 in Shaftsbury, Bennington, Vermont died October 2, 1861 in Plymouth, Ashtabula, Ohio, married October 2, 1851 in Albion, Crawford, Ohio to Harriet Richards born February 18, 1832 in Orangeville, Genessee, New York and died August 29, 1912 in Conneaut, Ashtabula, Ohio. Harriet was the daughter of Nancy Mariah Olin through her marriage to Daniel Richards. Nancy Olin was the daughter of Ezra Olin — a brother to Henry Olin. So they were first cousins once removed. Their children:
- Henry Richard Olin was born February 25, 1852 Plymouth, Ashtabula, Ohio and died 1935 Conneaut, Ohio. He married July 1, 1883 Plymouth, Ashtabula, Ohio to Dora Louisa Squires born January 30, 1865.
- Horace DeForest Olin was born March 2, 1854 Plymouth, Ashtabula, Ohio. He married 1871 Ashtabula, Ohio to Mrs. Jennie Case.
- Hiram Granville Olin was born June 25, 1856 and died August 7, 1943 in Ashtabula, Ashtabula, Ohio. He married May 12, 1882 to Jane A. Hamill “Jennie” in Ashtabula, Ohio. Hiram built a beautiful stone bridge over a duck pond by Lake Erie in Ashtabula, Ohio. (see below)
- Silence R. Olin was born May 4, 1859 in Plymouth, Ashtabula, Ohio and died March 30, 1861 in Plymouth, Ashtabula, Ohio. Never married.
- Harriet Almeda Olin was born March 7, 1862 Plymouth, Ashtabula, Ohio died 1948 Conneaut, Ashtabula, Ohio married John P. Nelson was born April 4, 1857 in Albion, Pennsylvania and died 1932.
Hiram Olin built this beautiful stone bridge over a duck pond by Lake Erie in Ashtabula, Ohio.
1800 U.S. Census (Shaftsbury, Bennington, Vermont)
1820 U.S. Census
1850 U.S. Census
1880 U.S. Census (Plymouth Township, Ashtabula, Ohio)
A Complete Record of the John Olin Family, C.C. Olin.
Ashtabula, OH Historical Society/Library
Ashtabula County, Ashtabula, Ohio records
A Complete Record of the John Olin Family, C.C. Olin, Historian, 1893, Baker Randolph Co., Indianapolis, Indiana.
Naomi Bottorf, Ashtabula, Ohio
Mrs. Glenn Kitson, Ashtabula, Ohio
History of Ashtabula County, Mrs. Moina W. Large, Hist. Publ. Co. Topeka-Indianapolis 1924 2 vol.
Dale H. Olin, Ashtabula, Ohio
Harry W. Olin, Pierpont, Ohio
Feel free to contact me asking for additional sources.
Last Updated on May 29, 2021 by rootie